Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Recipe

I don't usually publish recipes, but Kathryn really liked this. I was going for a soup that would have a creamy flavor without being too heavy. I cheated by basing this on a can :) Baxter's soup is made in Scotland, not too far where I grew up. But I found cans in our local HEB. This recipe is heretical since vichyssoise is supposed to be served cold. But I don't really care so long as it tastes good.

Salmon and Mushroom Vichyssoise

1 lb of salmon, cut into 1" cubes (with or without skin -- your preference)
2 medium red or white potatoes cut into 1/2" cubes
6-8 oz of mushrooms (button, cremini or portabella), coarsely chopped
1 can of Baxter's Vichyssoise soup
14-16 oz of chicken broth (either a can or bouillon is fine; fat-free/low fat is fine)
1 yellow (crookneck) squash, sliced
1 carrot, sliced (optional)
1 small onion, chopped (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste


Place all ingredients in a 3 qt pot. Bring to a boil then simmer, covered, for 40 mins.
Makes 5 large bowls.

Serving suggestions: I served this as an entrée with Indian flatbread (roti) because it's quick to make and uses ingredients I have on hand. You could also add rice to the soup, or serve with another type of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment