Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dirt Day One

Well, the green peppers are about to hit the growing light and they're huge for the little 3" peat pots they're in, so I thought it was high time to get some dirt to do the little vegetable plot I've been planning. I've got a bit more work to do to get the plot ready, but now at least I have the soil. The onions are no longer in good shape. Maybe I should have planted them earlier. Maybe it just wasn't a good mix putting them in the same tray with the peppers -- the peppers seem to be quite happy while the onions have developed a fungus. The impatiens and coleus are doing well. I have a couple of good-sized (for the pot) impatiens that I might try out in the near future. That will require Dirt Day Two - Revenge of the Spaghum Peat Moss.

I was planning to get all my dirt delivered in a big batch. But the company I contacted had a 3 cu. yard minimum, which is more than I need, and they charge a hefty delivery fee. Plus I get whatever they put in the mix, and I have to figure out how to deal with 3 cu. yards of dirt in my driveway. If I do it bag by bag, I can work on the garden incrementally, and I get to choose different mixes for different areas. We'll see. I haven't made the big commitment yet -- the veggie patch is only 20 sq. ft; the area at the bottom of the garden is 128 sq. ft.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment